- Home /
- What is the SMJ? /
Sacred Mayan Journey Objective
- To recreate and reestablish an ancient practice, and in the long run, to produce both a link to a cultural identity for the region’s inhabitants at many levels, as well as becoming an attraction for local, national and international tourism.
- Diversifying the area’s cultural offering through a multi-disciplinary project, including history, art, culture and sport, that strengthens and teaches the area’s original culture in order to foster the expansion of tourism in the area.
- Strengthen communication and cooperation between public and private institutions in Cozumel, Xel-Há, Xcaret and the Riviera Maya, through a common effort to enrich the area’s cultural offerings.
- To educate the people on ancient Mayan practices, especially related to veneration of the goddess Ixchel, considered the mother goddess of the region’s ancient Mayan culture.
- Engage the local community in strengthening the Mayan culture as the region’s original culture, currently at risk due to intense migratory processes in the area.
The Sacred Mayan Journey promotes active participation of the community, from the youngest members to the elderly men and women, men and women in very good physical condition and dance performers (children, pregnant and elderly women).